ROCHESTER, NY–(Marketwired – Mar 28, 2017) – Document Security Systems, Inc. (NYSE MKT: DSS)
- Year-Over-Year Revenue up 10% to $19.2 million
- 2016 Adjusted EBITDA total $1.1 million vs. 2015 Adjusted EBITDA Loss of ($1.3 million)
- Net Loss Per Share Reduced 94% from ($1.20) in 2015 to ($0.07) in 2016
- 2016 Year-End Cash Balance of $5.9 million vs. $1.4 million in 2015
Document Security Systems, Inc. (NYSE MKT: DSS), (“DSS”), a leader in anti-counterfeit, authentication, and diversion protection technologies whose products and solutions are used by governments, corporations and financial institutions to defeat fraud and to help ensure the authenticity of both digital and physical financial instruments, identification documents, sensitive publications, brand packaging and websites, today announced its financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2016.
“The fourth quarter of 2016 was another very positive quarter for DSS, and a strong end to our year. Not only did we realize continuing growth and strong financial performance in our printing, packaging, and ID card businesses, but in addition, we announced an exciting new customer for our AuthentiGuard security product line and began to realize early returns from this relationship in the fourth quarter,” stated Jeff Ronaldi, CEO of DSS.
“During the fourth quarter, we completed an IP monetization financing which bolstered our cash position and balance sheet by over $4.4 million. We also generated strong Adjusted EDITDA results, and ended the year with a positive Adjusted EBITDA of just over $1.0 million. These are strong indicators demonstrating that the strategic initiatives undertaken during 2016 are having a positive impact on our business, and helping us build sustainable profitability. As we enter 2017, we are well-positioned to accelerate growth, especially as AuthentiGuard achieves increased customer adoption, and we leverage our improved financial performance and balance sheet to target additional expansion opportunities in the anti-counterfeiting and brand protection markets,” added Ronaldi.
Fourth Quarter 2016 Financial Highlights
- Revenue for the fourth quarter of 2016 increased 6% to $5.8 million from $5.5 million in the same year-ago quarter. During the quarter, the Company saw revenue of printed products grow by 2% and technology sales, services and licensing revenue increase by 50%, primarily the result of an increase in AuthentiGuard sales.
- Costs and expenses totaled $5.7 million, a decrease of 65% from $16.1 million in the same year-ago period. The decrease was primarily due to a reduction in impairment charges incurred in the fourth quarter of 2016 compared to the fourth quarter of 2015. Absent the impairment charges in the 2015 quarter, costs and expenses for the fourth quarter of 2016 decreased approximately 5% from the adjusted 2015 quarter.
- During the fourth quarter of 2016, the Company had net income of $19,000, or $0.00 per share as compared to a net loss of $10.8 million or $(0.93) per share in the fourth quarter of 2015.
- Adjusted EBITDA1 totaled $662,000 in the fourth quarter of 2016 compared to an Adjusted EBITDA loss of $65,000 in the fourth quarter of 2015. The significant improvement reflected the increase in revenues and the decrease in costs, especially direct costs of goods sold and professional fees during the fourth quarter of 2016.
Full Year 2016 Financial Highlights
- Revenue for full year 2016 increased 10% to $19.2 million from $17.5 million in 2015. During the year, printed products revenue increased 10% while technology sales, services and licensing revenues increased 5%. Printed products sales increases were propelled by increases in plastic card ID sales, especially cards that include technology, and increases in packaging sales, especially to the Company’s two largest customers. Technology sales, services and licensing as a group benefited from revenues generated by the AuthentiGuard product line which more than offset revenue declines in that group’s traditional IT services and hardware reselling businesses.
- Costs and expenses totaled $19.8 million, a decrease of 37% from $31.6 million in 2015. The decrease was primarily due to the reduction in impairment charges incurred in 2015 but not in 2016. Absent the impairment charges in 2015, costs and expenses in 2016 decreased approximately 8% from the adjusted 2015 amount. The decrease was driven by reductions in nearly every expense category, the most significant being a 58% decrease in professional fees and a 66% decrease in stock based compensation costs.
- During 2016, the Company reported a net loss of $950,000, or $(0.07) per share, as compared to net loss of $14.3 million or $(1.20) per share in 2015.
- Adjusted EBITDA totaled $1.1 million in 2016 compared to an Adjusted EBITDA loss of ($1.3 million) in 2015. The significant improvement reflected the increase in revenues and the decrease in costs, especially compensation costs and professional fees.
ABOUT DOCUMENT SECURITY SYSTEMS
Document Security Systems, Inc.’s (NYSE MKT: DSS) products and solutions are used by governments, corporations and financial institutions to defeat fraud and to protect brands and digital information from the expanding world-wide counterfeiting problem. DSS technologies help ensure the authenticity of both digital and physical financial instruments, identification documents, sensitive publications, brand packaging and websites. DSS continuously invests in research and development to meet the ever-changing security needs of its clients and offers licensing of its patented technologies. For more information on DSS and its subsidiaries, please visit www.DSSsecure.com.
For more information on the AuthentiGuard Suite, please visit www.authentiguard.com.
Forward-looking statements that may be contained in this press release, including, without limitation, statements related to the Company’s plans, strategies, objectives, expectations, potential value, intentions and adequacy of resources, are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act and contain words such as “believes,” “anticipates,” “expects,” “plans,” “intends” and similar words and phrases. These forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the results projected in any forward-looking statement. In addition to the factors specifically noted in the forward-looking statements, other important factors, risks and uncertainties that could result in those differences include, but are not limited to, our ability to continue the growth in sales of AuthentiGuard and manage our expenses, as well as those risks disclosed in the “Risk Factors” section of the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2016, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on March 28, 2017. Forward-looking statements that may be contained in this press release are being made as of the date of its release, and the Company assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements, or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from those projected in the forward-looking statements.
Read the full report here